Sunday, August 17, 2008

Weeds.............

Look at my boys! Growing like WEEDS! Thanks and Giving are my 2 tom turkeys, 21 weeks old just and already feeling 'pretty' and poufing up twice their size for the girls..........can't they realize the girls are a bit different..............as in......NOT turkeys! LOL They are both sweet~ but certainly NOT gentleman! Their favorite thing to try and eat every day, is my wedding ring....while it is still on my finger. They sneak in the house when DH or the children leave the kitchen door open.....I didn't like looking up from the couch to see Giving's noggin up above my kitchen counter looking back at me. No~ I did not!

And my girls are starting to lay ~ woo hoo! We had chickens a few years ago, and all of them were wiped out by a fox in a single night~ I swore Id never have them again, because I get very attached. Jayson built them their own barn, and here we are again...but this time, not just 8, we have 23....and 4 roosters, 2 mallard ducks, and 2 Chinese ducks...........oh, and Thanks & Giving. This will do............ The hens just turned 20 weeks last week, and to the day, started laying. The eggs are small for now, but will get bigger as they become more relaxed and used to laying. This has given the children something to look foreword to very much~ just about every hour they go out to the barn and check for eggs! The girls are all very tame, and it was the perfect moment, when 'number one' hopped up in the nesting boxes to lay her very first egg...all the little Kinnison's (and some big ones too), were huddled around to watch the first egg appear. What a gift. How many of my Dear readers have actually seen an egg as it is being layed? I do highly recommend it!

4 comments:

Christine LeFever said...

You are marvelous, Rachael! I just read your last few posts, as I have been behind, and I cannot get over your talent with all of the hand stitching. I love the education you afford us through your detailed observation of historical sewing. And I adore you chickens, roosters and turkeys!!!

Christine

Periwinkle Pass Studio said...

Wow! Thanks and Giving are beautiful. Until this year, I have had chickens and roosters (anywhere from 3 to 75), but never turkey. I am going to have to check into getting some for my future flock.

Love your work. The dolls are amazing.

Lana Manis said...

Oh what flamboyant boys you have there! They are gorgeous. What kind are they? I think you told me when you got them but I have forgotten. Mine are Eastern Wild Turkeys.

Rachael Kinnison said...

HI Lana!
My boys are Burbons. Theyre both gobbeling like crazy~ SOO funny to watch~ as they each have a look on their face like~ "WHAT" was that???? Did that sound come out of me????? LOLOLOL I love my turkeys!