Thursday, January 19, 2012

Update on my lil knit Quaker Pinball...



FINISHED! YES!!
Well ok, this is just the first side, but still! I am most proud of it~ my first intarsa knitting e-v-e-r, and on 6ought knitting pins to boot! WOO HOO! Once I got past the first 5 rows or so, and there was a scrimp of something to actually hold on to, it got aLOT easier, and actually, I quite enjoyed it, very much so. More than I thought I would. I was only able to do a few rows at a time, then needed to take a break to let my eyes rest, I think I will look for a magnifier on a stand for my other half...which, in keeping with my insane tradition of always jumping in before I know how to swim....I think I should knit beads into the other side :) never done that before, but am quite excited to try. Ill let you know how it goes~


I hope you all try something you have never done before this year~ you may just find out that you love it, and wish you had tried it sooner~ I had always thought knitting a pinball would be too difficult~ but not so! You just have to go slow and steady, and eventually, you'll be finished. I am keeping notes of my time, and so far, for the first side, it took me 30 hours, 2 minutes to complete

5 comments:

Sherri Farley said...

That is just incredible......can't wait to see it finished.

Mouse Droppings Folk Art said...

Beautiful work...always wanted to try my hand at knitting...love what you have created. Cheers, Susan

Lone Pierette said...

just wonderful Rachael , love it!

Jennifer Stumpf said...

Just wonderful! I just received my tiny knitting needles to work on a similar project. Having never worked intarsia under normal circumstances, I don't know since it is so tiny, do I just carry the unused yarn behind every stitch where there is pattern, such as in fair isle knitting, or are there a heap of tiny threads that are cut and hanging from the back? I ordered a book on this topic but am eager to know in advance since the book is coming from overseas and I don't want to wait!

Rachael Kinnison said...

Hi Jennifer~ thankyou for visiting! Yes~ just carry the unused color along in the back as you go~ DONT CUT IT! Depending on how long the carry over is, you can twist(catch) it with your working thread to keep it snug up against your work~ I do this if I have a carry more than 7 stitches long....some do it every 4 or so stitches...whatever suits your liking! rachael