Saturday, May 19, 2012

fun*gus.....

the modern dictionary defines a fungus as.....
  "any of a diverse group of eukaryotic single-celled or multinucleate organisms that live by decomposing and absorbing the organic material in which they grow, comprising the mushrooms, molds, mildews, smuts, rusts, and yeasts, and classified in the kingdom Fungi or, in some classification systems, in the division Fungi (Thallophyta) of the kingdom Plantae. "


  Hmmmm...... I suppose thats it, if one prefers the scientific approach. I, on the other hand, think, of all the pleasurable moments I had as a child, out hunting for mushrooms with my parents. I would make quite a bit of money in the summers, out picking morels to sell to the vendors parked along the highway.  My mother was always discovering new 'leads'...like where a huge giant puffball the size of a basketball was found....and just how to cook it up....or those really neat coral mushrooms we were always looking for!  One of my favorites was 'Witche's Butter'...don't know if it was the pretty orange color, or that it looked wet and waxy, like butter on the logs.  I loved looking for mushrooms, and still do, tho now I live now where its so dry there aren't very many.

  Mushrooms always held a bit of magic for me as well~ especially morels....we always said they looked like faiery houses.  My Auntie Becky knows all about faieries, but my Mom & I, well, we were fond of a little different mythical, magical creature...one who inhabits many a forest and mountain, with little chubby fingers and blunt little noses..................



No comments: